This was a fast dish to prepare.
Makes 5 to 6 servings
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely grated (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, mashed or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of salt
- About 1/2 teaspoon harissa (Northwest African chili paste), 1 tablespoon minced green chilies, or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days to allow the flavors to meld and permeate the carrots. Served chilled or at room temperature.